Yesterday was an interesting mix. A friend at work was having a rough morning so I offered to go to lunch with him (even though my wife had packed me a salad). He "had to have a burger" so we went to In N Out. I got a Double Double, so no, not the best choice.
After we put the kids to bed, Tonya and I went to the grocery store and bought a ton of produce!
Today I wanted to talk a little bit about taking things seriously. A year or so after I got back from my mission, I was starting to feel spiritually weak. This is fairly normal among return missionaries, when you no longer are spending all day every day in the service of God. I thought about how I had become so strong in the first place, specifically the things I did to prepare for my mission.
I took my mission preparations very seriously. I organized a young adult daily scripture study group in my ward for about 6 months leading up to my mission. I had read the Book of Mormon and the New Testament, along with a few other popular books written by prominent church leaders. I focused my thoughts and was well prepared by the time I entered the MTC.
So, I thought, maybe I can do this again. I decided to do a "faux mission preparation". In other words, I pretended like I was preparing for another mission and did the things that I would do if I were really going. I read my scriptures more, and prayed more, and obviously got the results I was looking for.
Yesterday, I came home feeling guilty. Choosing a cheeseburger over a homemade salad, I feel, was representative of how seriously I was taking this transition. What would it take to make me take this more seriously?
What if I were to go to the doctor and he told me that I had high cholesterol and blood pressure? I don't want to wait until that happens to take it more seriously.
Therefore, I'm fully committing myself to this transition and making better choices. I am preparing for my next doctor's visit. I'm preparing for my next hike. For next year, for the next 50 years. I'm preparing for playing sports with my kids. For their weddings. I'm preparing to live a long, healthy life.
No comments:
Post a Comment